Soap is the full form of Simple Object Access Protocol. It is a protocol that is used in the case of web services or SOA framework. Soap’s API (application programming interface) usually becomes hidden by the higher-level interface of SOA. The data structure of SOAP is based on XML that is like the HTML utilized to define web pages. Basically, soap is a communication that is designed to make communication through the internet. Soap has the capability of extending HTTP for XML messaging.
Soap is one kind of protocol that was designed before REST. SOAP is for simple objects and it focuses on ensuring that the programs built on different platforms and the programming language will be exchanged in an easy manner. REST (Representational State Transfer) was designed especially for dealing with the things such as media components, even objects, files on a definite hardware device. The web services that are made on the basis of the REST are named Restful web services. The restful service uses the normal HTTP verbs of GET, POST, PUT and DELETE for continuing the tasks.
The differences between SOAP and REST API
SOAP is designed for some specification and it includes a WSDL file that has the required information on what web service does. In contrast, REST is an architectural style service that works under some conditions such as client-server, stateless, cacheable, Uniform Interface, Layered Interface. If we want to know SOAP vs REST, we will have to know the differences at first.
- For exposing the functionalities to client applications SOAP uses service interfaces. In SOAP, the WSDL file provides the client with the necessary information and it can be realized only by using web services. In case of accessing the data, The REST utilizes uniform service locators on the hardware devices.
- REST is an architectural pattern and SOAP is a protocol.
- SOAP uses service interfaces for exposing activities and REST uses the client application.
- REST doesn’t need much bandwidth for its operation on the other hand SOAP requires more bandwidth for its uses.
- If we make a comparison on the basis of the uses of the languages uses, SOAP works only with the XML, and REST can perform tasks with plain text, XML, HTML, and JSON.
- REST can make use of SOAP and SOAP cannot make use of REST.
- SOAP can be used in many circumstances like subsequent invocation and asynchronous processing. SOAP is a formal means of communication and it performs tasteful operations. on the contrary, the most appropriate time for using the REST is the situation will be statelessness, caching, ease of coding and we have limited bandwidth resources.
Both REST and SOAP have their own and special uses. SOAP is designed for simple projects and REST is the best and widely used API. The REST has made the complement of SOAP.
SOAP and API are such Application programming interfaces and both are provided by the client and the server. In the case of the server, the API is provided by the web service and in the client world, it is offered by the browsers.